This week's makeup mail comes from Tarte, who describe their cosmetics as "high-performance naturals."
Here is what I love about their response, which is something that LUSH did as well: they mirrored the way I asked my questions in the way they responded. As you will notice, they went one by one and numbered their responses to parallel the questions I asked. The reason I love this so much is that it (to me) shows their care for honesty and integrity. They did not skip any questions or refuse to answer any questions, and it seems that they took care to provide the answer for each question I asked. Thank you Tarte!
You will notice a few answers that sound familiar (typical response about being an equal opportunity employer) but overall, I respect this response from Tarte.
Take a look below to see Tarte's response, and let me know your thoughts in the comments!
For reference, here are my questions:
1. From where (what countries) does your company source its raw ingredients? Are your sources organic and sustainable?
2. Do your products contain any ingredients derived from animals? Is any of your products vegan friendly?
1. In what country or countries are your products manufactured? Where are your company’s labs, manufacturing locations, factories, and/or assembly plants located (city and country)?
2. Are your products manufactured and assembled in different places?
3. Does your company test ingredients or finished products on animals? Does your company use a third party to conduct animal testing?
4. Is your company owned by or affiliated with any companies that test products or ingredients on animals?
1. What efforts does your company take to ensure that fair labor practices are secured for your employees?
2. Are you able to provide a demographic breakdown of your company’s employees (gender, age, race, ethnicity)?
Here is Tarte's response:
Check out Tarte Cosmetic products here (they are also sold via Sephora and Ulta).
Have a company you think I should contact next? Send me an email at email@example.com
in lipstick & solidarity,